Saturday, August 14, 2010

Surname Saturday: KIMBALL


 My KIMBALL line ends with my paternal great-grandfather's mother, Mary May KIMBALL, and so far, can only be traced back two generations. I believe this line ties into the family tree of Richard KIMBALL, who emigrated in 1634 from Suffolk, England to Watertown, Massachusetts. However, I have not actively pursued this line to prove my theory.

The name is frequently spelled KIMBLE and KIMBELL, and once in a great while, CAMPBELL.

Stories and History:

Ahnentafel #68 - William KIMBALL (c. 1806 - 1879) - born in Vermont, he married Amanda WESTBROOK c. 1834 in Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. The first four of their eleven children were born in Ohio between 1835 and 1841. In 1843, he removed to Kalamazoo Co., Michigan, where he resided in Pavillion Township. Ten years later, he removed again with his wife and children to Dayton Twp., Newaygo Co., Michigan, where he lived for the rest of his life and where he probably died (his death did not get recorded, but I have a copy of his will). Three of his sons served in and survived the Civil War.

Ahnentafel #34 - Benjamin Henry KIMBALL (1845 - 1924) - frequently went by "Henry"; I have outlined a sketch of his life here for my Civil War Soldiers and Sailors series.

Ahnentafel #17 - Mary May KIMBALL, a.k.a. Lula WEAVER (1873 - 1950) - when her mother died either in childbirth with her or shortly after, Mary was raised by her maternal aunt. I have written a detailed AnceStory for her on my website here.

More about the KIMBALL family:

1. Online database (I update this at least once a month): KIMBALL ancestors and relatives (no info on living persons available)

2. Some KIMBALL obituaries

3. Posts about KIMBALL ancestors and relatives on this blog

4. Some scanned KIMBALL photos and documents

My KIMBALL immigration trail:

VT > Cuyahoga Co., OH > Kalamazoo Co., MI > Newaygo Co., MI > Muskegon Co., MI > Ottawa Co., MI > AK > Stevens Co., WA > Spokane Co., WA

1 comment:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I hope you find your link to Richard Kimball. He is my 11x great grandfather, through his son Henry b. 12 August 1615. Henry and his descendants lived in Wenham, Massachusetts. Maybe we are cousins?!